Saturday, October 3, 2009

The ineffectiveness of Americas education

I choose to write about Americas ineffective educational system because of what I have seen in the last 10-12 years.

I will start by saying that I came into the work force kinda late, compared to societies standards. I made the choice, to be a stay at home mom. I am extremely glad that I sacrificed that time, because, the fruit of that choice paid off. I now have 3 successful professional women in my life, that I have the privilege of calling my daughters. I realized how much time I had to put in with them in order to reap the benefits desired.

When I began working out side the home. I had several odd jobs until, I landed a job as a paraprofessional in the school system. I was so excited to be able to pour my knowledge and experience into a group of 5th. graders, just as my teachers, from my past had done for me. In turn I did the same thing for my daughters. I had also taken on the responsibility to mentor other young ladies.

I found myself right on the front line of the battle in this a school classroom settinng. I soon realized that the education that I had received, and that which my daughters received. was different from what these children were getting.

The first teacher that I worked with. Ran off a copy of all his lessons. Dailey he would pass these sheets out to the class, without so much as one instruction. Several of the kids would proudly, put their names on the paper, give themselves a grade of F, and turn in their papers. The rest of the day they would attempt to terrorize the rest of the class. Sometime they would just use that time to take a much needed nap.

After realizing just how effective Iwas and still am, with discipline in the classroom. I soon became known by all. I realized the struggle that the 5Th. graders were having was not an isolated incident. The lack of progress was school wide. Iwanted to helpso i did what I could. I helped by making sure that each child was challenged to do their best. Everyone did not like this but I felt a sense of duty. I still feel that this is part of my life's calling only now the voice is much louder and clearer. this is why i choose to write about this

No comments:

Post a Comment